Friday, April 25, 2008

Are formal education systems systematically stifling creativity?

Ken Robinson gave a wonderful talk at TED last year on how formal education stifles creativity.



It came to mind when I got a note from a colleague this morning saying a paper I had written had been rejected by the editors of the particular journal that was considering it - one of a number of boxes I failed to tick was that both reviewers didn't approve of the conversational writing style and referencing - and I began thinking again about the degree of narrow rigidity associated with whole rafts of our educational systems from primary school right through to the job(/s) I've been doing for the Open University for many years. Anyway enjoy Robinson's talk - highly recommended when you have a spare 20 minutes.

Update: The Wikipedia page on Gillian Lynne who Robinson mentions in his talk is worth a browse.

No comments: